Saturday, March 20, 2010

Eight days, and the first week is complete

Well, I made it. One whole week. I also got my new book that I ordered on how to prepare raw food more interestingly, cause I can sure tell ya that salads are getting very old. I found an entire raw food isle at Whole Foods in Tucson and had fun purchasing stuff there. And you thought your groceries were spendy. Good GOD! I am going to have to learn to make as much of this stuff as I can 'cause the prepackaged raw is really, really expensive.

Basically, the raw food adventure hasn't been that bad. Not too hard at all.

But this last week has been challenging personally. Keegan fell off the roof of the playground equipment and broke off two teeth. Not broken off like you would think. Split like a peeling fingernail, or more like you would peel bark off a tree. All the way up into the gum line so the poor guy had to spend 5 hours in the dentist office over two days, and then we are still not done. The price tag is outrageous. Unbelievable, really. I think 1500 for an hour and a half for two root canals is pretty damn good money. Not to mention, the other dentist's costs. Sigh.

Another challenge was going on a hike Friday. I wasn't sure that I would be able to keep up with everyone else just living on veggies. But I did and everything went along fine as it just wasn't that hard of a hike.

Then this morning I suddenly felt entirely depressed. Just out of the blue. Plus, Bill was not helping things as he's been snippy and sarcastic today and I don't know why. (Big surprise there.) And that I have found is the biggest challenge of all. Not the day to day eating. As long as I am happy and things are going along well, I am doing fine. But the minute I become depressed, WOW!! I could open up a bag of chocolate with a glass of wine and chow down. That becomes my biggest challenge. Not eating the wrong things when depressed. I must figure out a good solution to feeling down and staying on the raw food adventure. So far, I have been amazingly perfect. Not one mishap. So if you have suggestions on how to deal with being unhappy and not reaching for the wine or the chocolate, I'm all ears.

OK, enough whining. Here are the numbers.

No short acting insulin.
Down to 1/3 of what I used to take with long acting insulin. Only took 16 units last night. I'm weaning myself off of it little by little. AND i have on average 150's in the morning. Still too high, but better than 250 WITH 60 units of insulin. Plus, I am down to the 150's after meals. A very satisfying first week Practically instant results.

I remain a vegan............................guess what's for dinner?

3 comments:

  1. So proud of all you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that this is going well for you and that you are seeing results. Some non-food depression suggestions are to call somebody who can make you laugh and talk to them. Or go for a walk while listening to happy music (disco?). I find that some alone time with happy music can really help alter my mood. Even in just 5 or 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, girl! What a major milestone. The scale of difficulty for anyone who knows Lilo is tremendous. She is a dedicated foodie and epicurean and can make a kitchen sing when preparing meals for her family or entertaining (which she excels at in the Old World way).

    Cowgirl up!

    ReplyDelete