Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 38 and fruit comes into my life!!!!!

Singing!! I am singing! Fruit! Thank GOD! I am eating fruit! Hold on to your seats, yes, it's true, I actually ate blueberries and blackberries and my blood sugar was under 120!! Yessirreeey. That's what I'm talking about.

So I went to the Earth Day Celebration at the Farmer's Market on Saturday and there they were. Blue, round, beautiful and delicious blueberries. Could I chance it? What would happen? Would I blow it all on some delightfully sinful blue delectables?? Worth the risk, I thought. Grabbing the berries and paying an astronomical price, I stuffed them into my bag and prayed I wasn't making a huge mistake.

As I ate almost the entire box of them, I patiently waited the two hours to see what the results would be and beat the band, NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR!!! YES! Talk about thrilling. Then I went to Sybelle's party and, God forbid, ate blackberries. Again, as soon as I got home I got out the blood monitor and........119! Can it be? Can it possibly be that I my blood sugar is normalizing?

When I began this the raw food adventure, I guess I never really realized how much I would have to focus on myself. All this exercising, all this testing, all the worry over what I eat, all the reading and certainly, up until now I have been completely and totally unaccustomed to thinking about myself and my health with this kind of intensity. I do hope that I will not have to continue on in this manner forever and that there will come a time when I am able to be more relaxed and natural about food. But it has been an adventure, that's for sure.

On another note, I ate my first hot food in 36 days the other day in Tucson. As you can imagine, I've pretty much had it with eating only raw/cold food. Chloe and I went to a vegan restaurant and I broke down and had vegan chili. Now for those of you wagging your finger, that isn't cheating. The definition of a raw food diet is 80% raw. So obviously with this being the first hot thing I'd eaten in 36 days, I think I have filled the 80% quota. You have absolutely no idea how wonderful that tasted. I am planning on having something hot/cooked about once a week now and see how that goes. In my food bible, once I have stable blood sugar, I can have some hot food as long as it is vegan. I live for it.

Well that's all the news that's fit to print. Wish it were more exciting. But if you are into the adventures of a wild red headed woman and her path to self healing, I guess this makes for ok reading. Until next time...........

Guess what's for dinner? (Now you don't know, because I can have fruit! YEA HAW!)

2 comments:

  1. LILO! That is so completely awesome!!!!! I am so happy for you! Enjoy that fruit and hot food! I can not believe how quickly you have been able to reverse such a horrible disease. I am so impressed and it is just so inspiring to know that it has actually worked. I am doing a big giant happy dance for you right now! Keep it up!!!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Lilo, it was so fun seeing you today. And then to see you eat those blackberries and for you to have normal sugars afer them!!
    I am so very, very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete