Saturday, July 31, 2010

Successes, Struggles, and just plain Shitty

Ok, so I go for the drama, but I've just about had it today. Maybe not a good day to blog, but thought this would make more interesting reading than just.... all is well and perfect with my world writing. Diabetes SUCKS! SO MUCH! I am so so so so so tired of Diabetes, you just have no idea.

On to the story.... well, I've been doing vegan now for about, let's see, three months or so. And three months of raw food before that, for a total of six months life change. I have hardly cheated at all, and when I have it's been planned like Las Vegas buffet, the Carnival Cruise, my birthday, etc. And even then I only had red meat once! ONCE!!!! For me, this is nothing short of a miracle. So why am I whining?? I've lost tons of weight. I can wear most all size 10's, the smallest I have been in my entire life. I can wear a lot of 8's. Unbelievable! The ta tas will still not let me wear much less than a 12 on top, but who's complaining. Thankfully, I still have boobs. So what's the frickin problem, you ask?? BLOOD SUGAR!

My blood sugar is making me nuts. I cannot, and I repeat, I cannot eat ONE TINY LITTLE SINGLE THING that isn't perfect, or.... you guessed it... HIGH FRICKIN BLOOD SUGAR! And to top it off, I have had two bad spells with low blood sugar from taking too much insulin in the last three days. I mean, diabetic coma bad. I'm talking, almost passing out, incoherent, thank GOD for my daughter, low blood sugar. What the hell? There is no formula for carbs eaten, calories burned, exercise done, quantity eaten, etc., that will give me a formula to follow regarding insulin delivery. I am always, always screwing it up. Either too high or too low. And the American Diabetes Assoc. is a joke! If I followed their advice, I'd be dead for sure.

On top of that, I'm here to tell you the doctors are liars! They swore up and down that if I lost weight and exercised my blood sugar would improve. BULLSHIT I say. I've lost a small child, I work out at the gym for an hour and a half FIVE DAYS A WEEK, AND then I do Haganah, (Israeli hand to hand combat), three times a week. COME ON! What more could I do? I avoid sugar, bread, all dairy, red meat, chicken, turkey, pork, no wheat! GOOD GOD! What else is there? And it became evident that I could not sustain raw food forever. Vegan I can do no problem. In fact, I highly recommend watching Eating (http://www.amazon.com/Eating-3rd-Mike-Anderson/dp/B001CRQ8K6), and the other excellent documentary Food, Inc. That way, even if you don't want to be vegan, you can at least know what they do to your food.

So the short of it is this. If I eat vegan, which I have been able to maintain, I only need about 10-20 units per day. Much better than 120. But even then, I have to very much limit my intake and be super careful not to eat things that I know raise my blood sugar even though they are vegan. I have to work out like a scalded bat from hell. I do feel that 8 times a week should be enough. I have to watch every single thing I put in my mouth and even then, I screw up and end up practically putting myself into a diabetic coma by giving myself too much insulin, or not giving myself enough insulin and having too high blood sugar. IS there NO MIDDLE GROUND?

I know this is a terribly whiny blog, but I just am really enjoying my pity party. I did this mostly to myself, so I'm willing to face the consequences of my earlier life's actions. Or lack of action. But damn, is there no break here? That's where the shitty part comes in. I'm doing everything, everything right, and even though I have greatly reduced my insulin need, AND lost tons of weight, am an exercise machine and super toned and muscular, wear the smallest clothes I have ever worn in my ENTIRE LIFE, I STILL, still have to take bloody insulin. And that to me, is just SHIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment